Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Update

Thank you for the concern for those of you who commented on my last post. We made our trip to the pediatric dentist this morning and there is good news and bad news.

The good news: The dentist believes that he will only lose 1 tooth instead of 3. He thinks that the other teeth might die and turn black, but we won't know that right away, they will turn black over time. I had a black tooth from riding my bike down the steps when I was around Josiah's age and they didn't end up having to pull it until it became absessed when I was in 1st grade or something like that.

The bad news: That tooth has to be pulled. We are going in at 8:15am on Thursday morning to have it "extracted". So this will be the first time that he will be sedated. They will give him the concoction first to make him kind of sleepy. then 45 minutes later they will give him Nitrous and then numb the area with shots. The dentist assured me that Josiah won't see the needle or anything. Most kids just fall asleep. Hopefully!!! But thankfully, he will only have to have one tooth pulled!

The other bad news: No more Dappas (better known as pacifiers to the general public :) The dentist said that they are damaging his bone line along his jaw. I don't necessarily agree because Dan's teeth looked exactly like that when he was Josiah's age and his teeth are fine now. So the pacifiers got thrown away at Kim's today. He asked for them at naptime right away because we had been talking to him about having to get rid of them and he wanted them. He finally calmed down after a little bit, but never really went to sleep. Kim had the idea to have him throw the pacifiers away and gave him a little lamb with a tape measure as a trade. He seemed to like the idea. I have not talked to Dan yet tonight to find out how it went at home. But Josiah did throw all the pacifiers at home away too. Dan told him he was a big boy now and didn't need them anymore. But again, I haven't talked to him to see if he went to sleep yet or not.

So keep us in your prayers on Thursday morning. They said we will be there for about 2 1/2 hours. And prayers that I remain good and strong for my little man.

2 comments:

Grace Acres said...

I feel so bad for your poor little guy, i hope it all will go well and he won't be in too much pain. Hugs and prayers!

Mindy Richmond said...

Oh dang, I've been a little out of touch. I can't believe this! I thought we said no more E.R. visits this year for Josiah? Well, if he's the tough guy that I know he is, he did well with the extraction and all of this will just make him tougher (and you too).

You know I've got Kari's kids this weekend but I'll try to touch base with you at some point (probably next week). Love ya!