Thursday, August 31, 2006

Away from Home (This is a long one)

Josiah and I took a road trip last week. A trip that lasted much longer than expected but a trip I was glad we could make. It started out to be an overnight trip. I have to work up north every three weeks with MTU and normally Josiah and I have gone just for the night, maybe two nights. But it worked out so that Dan was gone for the weekend, so I decided that we would stay at my mom's for the weekend. We were able to stop and see my college bud, Brandi on my way and drop off maternity clothes, because she recently found out that she was pregnant:) (I also recently found out that another college friend, Beth, is pregnant and both of them are due on the same day; how crazy is that. Plus my friend Kari has started the adoption processes...so our little circle of friends (The Yaya's) from college are multiplying quickly. We are going to have so much fun with all of our kids growing up and being so close in age. Our get together's will never be the same!!! I can't wait!!) Back to my trip:) After Brandi's, we stopped by my friend Christy's house to visit her and her two boys. Always a fun stop and now that Josiah is beginning to interact with people more and getting together with her and her boys is getting more fun.

Then we were on to my mom's. I worked on Friday. Which would have been like any other work day up North, except I locked my keys in the car:( But thankfully the towing company was on top of their game that day and within 20 minutes of my initial call I was on the road again. Then I did some garage saling!! Yah!! I don't get to do that very often and it is harder to do with Josiah in tow. I found some great deals on toddler toys since Josiah is walking along furniture and pushing a walker now. I had no age appropriate toys...thank goodness for garage sales!!! Back at Grandma Sherry and Grandpa Bob's we just hung out and took lots of walks for the weekend. We had a really nice relaxing time.

On Sunday we were on the road again. We were off to visit Great Granma D. We called her up on Sunday morning and asked if she was up for company...and of course who could refuse a visit from the cutest grandkid ever...and of course there is Josiah too:) hehehe. Grandma took some pictures and video and then we were off to lunch. We had a nice visit. I was glad that it worked out for us to stop and visit. She doesn't get to see Josiah very often.

Then we were on the road again. Off to visit more grandparents. This visit was a God inspired visit. First of all, my dad didn't have it down on the right day on the calender...he thought we were coming to visit the following weekend. Probably if they had been planning on us coming, they may have said don't come. Kathie's mother had made a turn for the worse over the week prior to our visit and by the time we got there she had stopped eating and drinking. Had I known, I probably wouldn't have come and so I think that is the reason God had kept us all in the dark. When we arrived, I was very taken aback at Grandma's state. But thankfully I had Josiah in my arms and he just smiled at her...even giggled a little at the sounds she was making while breathing. I am pretty sure she knew we were there. In fact when Kathie told her that she was going to show us the house, Grandma said "Okay" and I believe that is the last time she spoke. I think that Josiah being there took away from some of the sadness and anxiety that my dad and Kathie were feeling. Josiah was so happy and played so well that it was hard not to smile at him. He was God's perfect distraction from such a hard time. On Monday night Grandma passed away in her sleep. It was such a blessing. The day she passed was the anniversary of the date she and Grandpa eloped. They had a church wedding 6 months later, but didn't tell people that they had eloped. Kind of a cute story.

God also provided a distraction for myself...Josiah and I got very very sick. I have to tell you that is one of the hardest things I have had to deal with as a parent...changing a diaper of a sick kid while very nauseaus and sick myself. Not fun! My mom was sick the same night, followed by Bob a couple of days later and by the time I got home, Dan got it too. Hopefully it is now completely out of our system.

The funeral was set for Friday with the viewing on Thursday night. Since I was already up in the area, I decided to head back to my mom's and spend the rest of the week. I could make up my work the following week and Josiah could not have gone to day care with his diarrhea anyway. So it worked out very well. The only thing that didn't work out is Josiah's night time routine. On top of being sick, he was cutting 5 teeth at the same time, he hadn't seen his dad in a long time and we weren't home. Every time he woke up in the middle of hte night he couldn't get back to sleep. So I was very tired, but somehow I got through it.

Needless to say I was glad to be home. But it took Josiah a couple of nights to readjust and since he is still teething we are still having some problems at night. But this to shall pass!!!
p.s. I tried to post pictures and of course I couldn't get it to work:( I really wish it was working better or more consistently. When I get a chance again, I will post the pictures I was planning on posting with this post!

No comments: