Monday, March 20, 2006

Big Neon Sign

Most everyone knows that I have been able to stay home with Josiah up until this point, but have always known that I would have to return to work at some point. Well that point quickly approached. Time pretty much flew these past 3 and a half months. And all of the sudden I need a job.

So I interviewed at Home Depot and was offered a position for nights and weekends for minimal pay, but potential benefits at the end of my 90 day period. LCC was also a possibility for part time but no benefits. Neither one of these seemed like great solutions to the situation at hand. We don't want Josiah in day care full time if we can help it. If it turns out that way some day then so be it, we will cross that bridge when we come to it, but for right now we really wanted to try and make it work with part time employment.

So I have been praying and I know people have been praying for us (thank you) and Home Depot seemed to be the answer...but we also felt like it was something where we just didn't have any other choice. I happened to stop by Dan's bosses house last Friday on my way home from having lunch with my girlfriends. His wife had made Josiah a quilt and we just hadn't crossed paths since he was born to get to see her or the quilt. Well that stop was no coincidence!!! First of all the quilt is absolutely incredible...I will have to get a picture of it and post it because I was in awe when I saw it and will most likely have Josiah's room patterend after it when he gets a little older:) It's that good!!! At any rate. Dan's boss got home and we were sitting around chit chatting and I just threw out there "You don't by any chance have any part time work at the office do you?" And he said no, not at this time...but he said he thought about it for alittle while and he thought I would be a good fit for the marketing person for the company.

So at 8:30 this morning I got a call asking me if I would be interested in the position. He explained a little bit to me, but not in great detail and then asked if I wanted to come in and talk about it more. He knew that I had to give my answer to Home Depot tomorrow, so we set up a meeting for 4:00pm today. I called Dan right away, I could hardly believe it!!! Pretty crazy! But then the worry set in about what they would offer me and is it smart to have 2 people at the same company...lots to think about...lots to worry about. Then Dan told me that there would be a hike in our insurance...$90 a month. Even more to worry about! I almost had a break down, but luckily, I was able to turn to prayer. Most of the time, I just cry and like to wallow in my self pitty, but for some reason today, I was able to pray and let it all go. I was able to put the burden back to God. And I felt a real sense of peace. I knew that whatever happened, God would have His hand in it. I also asked for a great big Neon sign to direct me in my decision making process:) And God did just that! I knew without a doubt after I got out of my meeting today at 4:00pm what I would do.

I will be starting on a new adventure and opportunity on May 1st. I am going to start out working part time (20 hours a week) and if in time I start to bring the company in more money and I would like to go to more hours we can talk about more hours at that time or I can stay part time. I will have a flexible schedule which means I can set the hours that I work. Which is great with a child!!! I will be able to work some from home also which may cut down on day care...this will all have to just be worked out when I start working. There are a few other really great benefits also...the big Neon sign was glowing strong!! I came home and talked to Dan, who seemed very excited about what they were offering me. I read over the job description and really felt like I could do this job and do it well. So I (we) are very excited about this job opportunity!! And truly feel like this was an answer to prayer!!

Now we need prayers to find the right day care. My number one choice doesn't have any openings at this time, so we have to really start looking around. But thank goodness I have time to do that since I don't start until May 1st, so I should have time to get things in order!!!

God is so good to me!

3 comments:

momteacherfriend said...

AWESOME! Praise God. I love it how God works out the details.

Hey are you coming Saturday? Send me an IM

Mindy Richmond said...

That is awesome!! I am so excited for you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Heather! You are so creative; this will give you a chance to use those talents in finding ways to get new business. Also, you are a great writer; we enjoy reading about Josiah. We love the pictures you sent and Great-Grandma thinks Josiah is a doll! We look forward to seing all of you in April. We thank God for answered prayers. Love to all!