Sunday, December 14, 2008

Play list and family tradition

All of my changes to my blog have been inspired by a good friend who has learned from friends who have blogged before her. Check out her blog. I sent you to this particular blog post because she talks about Christmas traditions...a really great one I might add.

Our family traditions are not as elaborate, but just as meaningful to us because we have done it every year since Dan and I married. If you look over at the playlist that I have just added, there is a song titled "You gotta get up" and we have woken either each other up or our families or now Josiah every Christmas morning to that song blaring in the house. I love it! It is so much fun and just gets me excited about Christmas day happenings. One day I am sure Josiah will have to have a copy of his own, because I am sure that in the not to distant future he will be waking us up in the morning dawn. I can only hope that for this year anyway, he wakes up an heads to our room bypassing all the presents under the tree that will not have been there the night before and comes to wake us up before proceeding to open all of his and our presents. I can just see it;) What a laugh and story that would be!!!

Another tradition that my family has carried on is new pajamas to where to bed on Christmas eve. That was the only present we could open (at least in my memory). Dan's family opened most of their presents on Christmas eve except the stockings and Santa gifts which were saved for after Santa came.

I have almost always gone to Christmas Eve service at our church as well. Some years I was even able to play my trumpet at them. As of right now though, I don't know if my work will let me out early, so I don't know if I will be able to go to our church's service. I would be really sad if I had to miss it for work, but there isn't much I can do except pray that they let us out early.

Another tradition I can remember were these little stockings that were hung on the tree, about 2 inches long. There was always a few coins in the stockings on Christmas morning. A silly, but fun tradition that I remember always looking forward too. Luckily the one stocking I have on our tree already has coins in it, so I just have to remember to point Josiah in the right direction.

If I remember more, I will share, but feel free to share any of your favorite childhood family traditions. We are always looking for ones to start with Josiah now that he is of the age where he will start to remember from year to year.

No comments: