Thursday, September 14, 2006

New Day Care: Kim's House

I can't believe I forgot to post about our new day care. This was one of the best decisions I have made regarding Josiah to date!

The old day care was alright. They took care of him, fed him, changed his diapers and recorded the time when they did it and whether it was pee or poop. That's all fine and dandy, but I didn't feel like they really loved our little baby. I didn't feel like they interacted with him or were silly with him. I never witnessed them being excited to see him when we dropped him off in the morning and the hardest part of all was that they rarely ever filled us in on his goings on for the day. I was missing out on a big part of my babies day and I wanted a glimpse, a little tid bit about his day. The "babysitters" as I like to call them were so quiet and withdrawn that I could never get even a feel for how his day had been let alone learn about what fun things he had done or even if he had had a bad day. The Day Care Center always said that it was so great that the "babysitters" were so calm with the babies. But I wanted them to have fun and run around and be silly like we were...I wanted us to be there.

So finally I made the decision to find a new day care. I had my name on a waiting list at a women from our church's home day care. I had a feeling that an opening wouldn't come up, but I called her to make sure and she gave me the name of a women down the street from her that she knew and could give her personal recommendation. Plus she knew that this women had an opening. So I called this other women that day and agreed to set up a time where we could get together and chat. But with Josiah's nap/eating schedule and with her day care schedule we couldn't set a time. She told me to just come by whenever it was convenient. Well, that night Josiah woke up from his nap a little early, and Dan and I grabbed quick bite to eat and I gave her a call to see if we could come that night. I felt bad that it was later in the evening. But it turned out to be a perfect time to get together. There were no other kids running around, we had all eaton and were just relaxed and she could give us her full attention. Plus we got to meet her husband and her 2 kids. Dan and I left her house knowing that this was where we wanted Josiah.

I called early the next day to find out how they felt about us and Josiah. She told me that when we left she told her husband that "God was Good" to have brought us to her at the time He did. The little boy that was leaving her day care was only leaving because he was starting kindergarten and lived in a different school district. But they still come to visit once a week because the little boy misses it so much. Dan and I were so excited. The timing couldn't have been more perfect. That little boy's last day was on Thursday of that week, but I had to call the old day care to find out when we could leave.

I was nervous about leaving the other day care. I wasn't sure how they would handle the situation. I wasn't sure if I had to give a 2 weeks notice and if I had to do that, I could just feel the anxiety building about having to leave him there for 2 more weeks. I wanted him out of there that bad. But I think they were glad because it had become so tense between the "babysitters" and I. I told them I would finish out the week, which was actually only one more day and then we would be done. They were all very civil to us and they took good care of him on that last day. I picked him up on the last day and I was so excited that we would be starting the new day care the following week.

We feel so blessed by this new day care provider. I keep saying "babysitters" for the other day care, because that is what they were. They were 20 years old, with no children of their own and it was a job to them...a job I don't think they even liked. Unfortunetly that "job" was to take care of my kid and if they didn't like taking care of my kid it was time to go.

It was definitley God's timing! I had been wanting to leave for quite some time, but I didn't actively start looking until that day that I called and talked (and met) our new day care. I think the reason I like it so much is because I feel like another mom is taking care of my child and that makes me feel good. I, as his mom, can't be there during the day...so the next best thing is another mom.

I hadn't realized how much anxiety and stress it was causing to have Josiah in a day care that I didn't feel comfortable with. I didn't realize it until on that first day I took him to "Kim's House," the stress was completely gone . God is Good!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Heather.
I'm very happy to hear that the new daycare is much better for you all. you want to keep him in a safe place. Steve and I have been having some trouble lately.. with his Staff Seargent. Its a long story though. I have been praying that things will get better and so far they are getting worse. hopefully one of these days.

heather j said...

I am so sorry to hear that things aren't going well:( I will keep you all in my prayers too! I know that the military can be a tough place to deal with the day to day stuff.